GLAAD is joining our two other charities that we’ve partnered with, the Humane Society of the United States and Save the Children, giving Porte members a wider variety of charity options to support. Read on to learn more about who GLAAD is, what they do, and how your everyday purchases can support their work.
Who is GLAAD?
GLAAD is the world’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization. They work through entertainment, news, and digital media to share stories from the LGBTQ community to accelerate acceptance.
What does GLAAD do?
GLAAD was founded in 1985 in response to the defamatory and sensationalized media coverage of HIV/AIDS and the gay community. Today, the organization has evolved to become a culture change agent in Hollywood, journalism, and other areas of media to increase and enhance LGBTQ representation and visibility. Their goal: accelerating acceptance for LGBTQ people everywhere.
Some of their key areas of work include:
- GLAAD Media Awards: Since 1990, GLAAD has hosted the GLAAD Media Awards, which honor media for fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of LGBTQ people and issues. The GLAAD Media Awards are the most visible LGBTQ event in the world, with over 7 billion media impressions each year.
- News and Rapid Response: Working closely with journalists and news outlets in print, broadcast, and online, GLAAD serves as a resource to ensure that the news media is accurately and fairly representing LGBTQ people in its reporting.
- GLAAD Media Institute: Created in 2017, the GLAAD Media Institute (GMI) enables people to build the core skills and techniques that effectuate positive cultural change. Through its three pillars - research, training, and consultation - the GMI helps constituents and partners to increase and enhance LGBTQ visibility and inclusion. The GMI encompasses GLAAD’s programmatic work in various areas of media and activism, including Entertainment Media, Spanish Language and Latinx Media, Transgender Media, Communities of Color, and Youth Engagement.
How can I support GLAAD?
Supporting GLAAD, or any other charity that we have partnered with, is easy with Porte’s #DoorToChange program. We made the process simple: when you buy or pay for something, we make a separate donation equal to a percentage of the purchase price to your selected charity. It doesn’t cost you anything.
Follow these steps to start supporting a cause that matters to you:
- Log in to your Porte app.1
- Select Support a cause that matters to you from the dashboard.
- Select GLAAD (or another charity partner).
- That’s it!
Although you can only support one charity at a time, you can change your selected charity as often as you like. You can also see an approximate amount generated from the Porte community for each cause in the #DoorToChange section in the Porte App.
Sign into your Porte app, and let’s make an impact together.